TURBOdesign Volute is a novel design code for volute designs under both incompressible and compressible flow regimes based on a 2D inverse design approach.
TDVolute allows the specification of 2D velocity distributions at the inlet and iteratively calculates the shape of the volute outer wall for a user specified cross-section that can either be symmetric or asymmetric.
Basic features of TDVolute
- It generates a meridional profile in the meridional plane and meshes it based on the user specified flow field information;
- It then imposes the specified cross-section shapes that can be elliptic, circular, rectangle, and trapezoidal;
- It allows the specification of inlet velocity profiles, temperature and pressure to compute the 3D shapes.
How to use it
- Input the main volute dimensions such as the inlet radius, axial width that matches the diffuser TE;
- Select the symmetric or asymmetric cross-section shapes at the entry, duct and outlet regions;
- Define the outlet pipe to be either tangential or radial to the volute exit;
- Specify the diffuser exit angle and tongue radius;
- Impose the inlet velocity profiles in radial and tangential direction. This function can be used to quickly get an optimised volute with much less time comparing with the conventional volute design technique.
What you can get
- The detailed information about casing shape, height, cross-section area that can be exported in a well-organised .csv file;
- A 3D .iges format CAD files for either the volute surface or the cross-sections